The Union Public Service Commission conducts the IAS Exam for key bureaucratic positions in the Union and State Governments of India and public-Sector undertakings. Recruitment of officers to the IAS cadre is done through the extremely competitive “Civil Service Examination”. The UPSC Board has stated certain eligibility specifics for candidates who wish to appear for the IAS Exam.The IAS 2015 Eligibility Criteria should be carefully reviewed by candidates appearing for the Civil Service Examination. The criteria of eligibility for the IAS 2015 Exam has been described in detail below.
Nationality Criteria For Civil Services Examination
The IAS 2015 Eligibility Criteria clearly states that candidates appearing for the IAS Exam should be Indian Citizens or subjects of Nepal or Bhutan. Refugees from Tibet who have migrated to India before 1 January,1962 or Persons of Indian origin who have migrated from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Vietnam or other East African Countries and intend to permanently settle in India will also be considered eligible to appear for the Civil Service Examination. Candidates belonging to such categories should however possess an eligibility certificate that has been issued by the Government of India.
The age parameter for candidates from unreserved categories is 21-32 years. Candidates from the categories listed below, will be allowed a relaxation in the upper age limit as follows:
- SC/ST candidates- Five years.
- Candidates from Other Backward Classes-Three years.
- Candidates’ who were ordinarily domiciled in the State of Jammu and Kashmir during the period from 1 January, 1980 to 31 December, 1989 – Five years.
- Defence Services Personnel who were disabled during service- Three years.
- Blind, Deaf or orthopedically handicapped candidates- Ten years.
- Ex-servicemen, including Commissioned Officers/ECOs/SSCOs- Five years.
- The UPSC Board has underlined that IAS and IPS aspirants should possess a minimum Bachelors/Graduation Degree or its equivalent from a recognized university.
- Candidates who possess technical and professional Degrees from Government recognized Universities will also be considered eligible.
- Candidates who are just appearing for their qualifying examination or are still awaiting their results for the qualifying examination can also apply for the Civil Service Examinations. However, such candidates should provide proof of their results while submitting their applications for the Main Exam of the Civil Services.
- Final year MBBS students who have not completed their internship yet will be provisionally allowed to appear for the Civil Services Main Examination, provided that they submit a certificate that they have completed all the prerequisites in order to be awarded their Medical Degree from the concerned authority of their University, before the interview.